Re: Messed up time zones

Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I have intentionally chosen an example where the local time is changed
> from summer time to winter time (e.g. local time suddenly "goes back"
> one hour). It demonstrates that you cannot use "at time zone ...."
> expression to convert a timestamptz into a desired time zone manually.

Um, yes you can.  The trick is to use a timezone name, not an
abbreviation, in the AT TIME ZONE construct (for instance,
'Europe/Budapest' not just 'CET').  That will do the rotation
in a DST-aware fashion.

> As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to set the system's clock to UTC,
> store everything in timestamp field (in UTC),  and use a program to
> convert fetched values before displaying them.

[ shrug... ]  If you really insist on re-inventing that wheel, go
ahead, but it sounds to me like you'll just be introducing additional
points of failure.

			regards, tom lane