Re: How to upgrade PostgreSQL minor releases without a dump/restore?

> > ? Did you read the paragraph above?
> >
> > Install latest version, and restart postmaster.
>
> Installing of latest version as-is will keep overwriting the existing
> installed directories/files/binaries but not the "/usr/local/pgsql/data/"
> directory right?  Since this is our production server database, am just
> clarifying this question that came to my mind, before upgrading.

For sake of safety, I'd always make a backup of the data directory. You don't
need to dump/restore. Just copy the files someplace else and then do the
update. In case something goes wrong you can always go back to your old
version and just copy the backup to the data directory.

That's how I do upgrades. Never needed the backup, but better to have one.

Uwe