Re: Postgre installation issue

Check if Secondary logon service is running. If it is not running, start it and try again to start PostgreSQL. It should work now.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Ammar Fallaha <ammar.fallaha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are trying to switch from Oracle 10g to Postgre but I am having few technical issues which I am listing here and I hope someone can help.

Server Status:

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ I am installing âpostgresql-9.0.2-1-windows.exeâ package on Windows Server 2003 SP2 with 2 LAN Cards

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The server is part of a domain and I am installing using the Administrator login

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Before installation we have removed completely the AV software

Installation:

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ We have chose the following directories during installation:
D:\PostgreSQL\9.0

D:\PostgreSQL\9.0\data

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ The PG user was created in the domain users with a pw that was accepted

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ During installation, The locale is English, United States and not to [Default locale]

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ During installation, Âstarting the database server, this error shows

Warning: Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
Failed to start the database server.

I clicked OK and continue

- After installation completion, the service "postgresql-9.0 - PostgreSQL Server 9.0" will fail. It is setup to start Automatically
Services: could not start the postgresql-9.0 service on Local Computer.

Error 1069: The service did not start due to a login failure.

-ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ When checking the service login, I found out the user to be .\postgres so browse for it in the domain and changed it to DOMAIN_NAME\postgres, re-start the service it worked

Configuration Problems:

1.ÂÂÂÂÂÂ In postgresql.conf file when I changed the listen address to one of my LAN card to channel all traffic through it by doing: listen_addresses = '192.168.1.212' instead of listen_addresses = '*', re-starting the service will not work, changing the entry back and re-starting the service will not work, changing the entry back and re-start the whole server will work and the service will start

2.ÂÂÂÂÂÂ In pg_hba.conf I have the following entries:
hostÂÂ ÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 127.0.0.1/32ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ md5

hostÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 192.168.1.211/32ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ md5

hostÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 192.168.1.212/32ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ md5

hostÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 192.168.1.4/32ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ md5

using PGAdmin from the server itself, I created 2 New login Role â1â and â2â , 2 Tablespace â1â and â2â as this
D:\tablespace\1

D:\tablespace\2

which is next to the PG directory D:\PostgreSQL

and had to gave permission to the user: DOMAIN_NAME\postgres to D:\tablespace directory

then created the database â1â and â2â with the prospective user as owner and the tablespace

Logging from the remote machine with IP: 192.168.1.4 using the user 1, I can see both 1 and 2 dbs

however when I changed the pg_hba.conf to

hostÂÂÂÂÂÂ 1ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 192.168.1.4/32ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ md5

restarting the service, I canât login at all. This entry does not work

however; these entries will work:

hostÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 192.168.1.4/32ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ md5

hostÂÂÂÂÂÂ allÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 1ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 192.168.1.4/32ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ md5

But still can see all the dbs

I need to have each user sees its own DB, how can I do that

** More to follow