Re: more 10K disks or less 15K disks

Anj Adu wrote:
We do not archive the WALs. We use application-level replication to
achieve redundancy. WAL archiving was difficult to support with the
earlier hardware we had ( 6x300G 10K disks Dell 2850) given the
volumes we were dealing with. The RAID card should be from the same
manufacturer (LSI in Dell's case).

The database is generating WAL files that are written to the pg_xlog directory. Sometimes this is broken out into a separate drive so that it's possible to measure how much I/O is being written to there, as opposed to the main database drive. That's the WAL writing I was asking about, not the overhead of archiving WAL files to elsewhere. The way that WAL writes go to disk, you can't always speed them up just by throwing more disks at them--sometimes, you just need the individual disk involved to be as fast as possible.

You should try to get the same Dell RAID controller you're already using, that you know delivers good performance running your app. All I've heard about the models released after the Perc 6i has been bad news. Dell varies how much they tinker with the LSI firmware in their own version of each card, and they didn't do very much of that in the Perc 6 series. They seem to be changing around the newer models more again, which is always bad news.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us