Re: Backslashes in bytea values

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that all of these insertions are being done via PHP scripts, and we are using the pg_escape_bytea function (part of the PHP Postgres extension) to escape the data being inserted into bytea columns. Rather important item, that.

Does this address all the concerns which you raised?

Thanks
Lewis

Kevin Grittner wrote:
Lewis Kapell <lkapell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have updated much of our code to use the E'' syntax in order to
suppress these messages.
If you do that, you'd better be doing something to make sure you
have cured the problem the messages warned of; otherwise you're
going to have corrupted documents.  Are you using prepared
statements and setting the values through those (recommended) or
escaping the backslashes, etc. yourself?
I am trying to figure out what the repercussions would be if I
were to turn on the standard_conforming_strings parameter.
With that on, absolutely all characters are taken as part of the
literal except for apostrophes.  That makes it a bit easier to do
the escaping, and could result in a slight reduction in statement
size.
None of our code actually uses a backslash to escape a double-
quote, but I don't know how this would affect the bytea values
which I discussed above.  How are backslashes affected if they are
actually part of the raw data?
If you're just throwing them inside a E'xxx' literal that you build
yourself, it sounds like you've currently got a problem.  If you are
using parameters on prepared statements, it shouldn't matter much.
-Kevin