Backslashes in bytea values

My company is using Postgres 8.3.8. We have some tables with bytea columns that store file data such as the contents of PDF or RTF files. The escape_string_warning parameter is on, and inserting this kind of data causes the backslash warning to be generated, since the backslash character appears in the raw data of these types of files. I have updated much of our code to use the E'' syntax in order to suppress these messages.

I am trying to figure out what the repercussions would be if I were to turn on the standard_conforming_strings parameter. None of our code actually uses a backslash to escape a double-quote, but I don't know how this would affect the bytea values which I discussed above. How are backslashes affected if they are actually part of the raw data?

--

Thank you,

Lewis Kapell
Computer Operations