Re: suggestions/hints for multimaster solution

2009/1/9 Gerd König <koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> we want to have a scenario where (at least) 2 servers are r/w accessible> and if one of the server crashes this should cause (almost) no downtime> for the database.> Yes, you're right, it's more like "keeping two databases in sync".
I would call this replication with failover (active-passive). To me,multimaster sounds like active-active, where clients can send queriesto any of the nodes (that is why all nodes are masters). Of course,it's just my point of view. :)
> We also use heartbeat for pinging the server themselves. Is it also> possible to use heartbeat for checking the availability of a service> (I'm not that familiar with heartbeat, so long) ?> Does this mean you have two identical installations of pgpool-II on each> of the db-servers ?
Yes, I have two almost identical installations of pgpool-II on each ofthe PostgreSQL servers. pgpool-II handles the pgsql servers. Heartbeatprovides HA to pgpool-II.
Hope it helps, at least clarifying. :)
-- Jaume Sabaterhttp://linuxsilo.net/
"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"
-- Sent via pgsql-admin mailing list (pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)To make changes to your subscription:http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-admin