Re: controlling autovacuum during the day.

John Lister wrote:

bizarre... Its been turned off for a while, but from memory the
autovacuum process was causing the table it was running on to be locked
- I assumed this was an equivalent to VACUUM FULL - causing all other
connections to wait until it had finished. Could this happen another way,
i thought the other vacuum options acted passively... I'll turn it back
on and see what happens...

Maybe you're doing ALTER TABLE or something else that is blocked behind
vacuum?  Vacuum doesn't block INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE, but it can block
other operations that want exclusive locks on the table.

What Postgres version is this anyway?

Now running 8.3, but this was on 8.2.

This was just with standard updates, etc

I guess i need to turn autovacuum back on to see what happens...