Re: controlling autovacuum during the day.

"John Lister" <john.lister-ps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'd like to use autovacuum to clean up the tables rather than schedule a
full vacuum with cron as it will be more selective/intelligent about what
gets cleaned. But is it possible to stop it running during peak/office
hours?

No.  Instead, set the vacuum cost parameters to make it run slow enough
to not interfere too much with your work.

Cheers for the quick reply. I've tweaked them quite a bit, but we have quite a few heavily updated tables that i'd like vacuuming to keep them in check. Unfortunately the autovacuum does a FULL vacuum every so often locking the tables for quite a long time, i'd like to move these to the evening if possible.

I guess the only option is to add the big tables to the pg_autovacuum table and run a script to enable them in the evening?
I guess autovacuum picks up changes to the pg_autovacuum table...

Is a global flag something that could be added to a future release? Or is it possible to get the autovacuum/db process to reload the config file while running using pg_reload_conf() for example?