After upgrade cleanup

Greetings, one and all,

I just did an upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2.3. We'll go up to 8.3.3 very soon, but for reasons I won't go into, this intermediate step was necessary. My problem is, now that the upgrade is done, how can I clean up the database from the old version. I leave the original database up as long as I can when I do an upgrade just in case I need to revert to it. Now I have the databases from two versions on my server and I need to get rid of the old one. Can I just remove the old files from the data directories? With other systems, I've had trouble removing database files because upgrades use certain files from old versions. I don't want to break my new database. I'm on Solaris 10.

Thanks,

Carol