Strange Authentication Problem

Hi,

i have a strange authentication problem with postgresql v8.3 on mac os x server (10.5).
my pg_hba.conf contains only the following 4 entries:

local   all         all                               md5
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5
host    all         all         0.0.0.0/0             md5

if i connect from local machine with 'psql -U testuser testdb' or 'psql -h localhost -U testuser testdb' psql prompt me for a password and i get in - looks good so far. next step was to try connect from
another machine on another network.
with 'psql -h <remote hosts ipaddress> -U testuser testdb' i get a prompt for a password and if i give the correct password i can login and do something more or less useful ;-)

but now my problem. if i connect with the full qualified domain-name to the remote machine, e.g. 'psql -h testdb.example.com -U testuser testdb' i get no password prompt, instead psql logs me
in without the need of a password and i have full access to the db!

hm. it seems to be a problem with md5. if i change the last line in pg_hba.conf to the following:
host    all         all         0.0.0.0/0             reject
and reload the servers configuration, then it will reject my connection if i use ip-address or the domain-name of the remote machine. if i change it back and reload the configuration, then i can login without password again when i use the domain-name of the server and can login
only with password when using the ip-address.

if i try the -W switch of psql and connect with domain-name i get the password-prompt, but i can
simply press <enter> and i get in.

is it my fault? can somebody confirm this behaviour on other postgresql installations?
any hints or suggestions what i can try to fix this strange problem?

jan