Re: All numeric database names?

Chris Hoover wrote:
Just wanted to check, are there any problems/gotcha's to having a cluster of all numeric database names? We are thinking of switching our database naming system to use our customer number (a 6 digit integer) for the database name. Is a negative/bad thing?
Technically speaking, it will be of data type "name". You can use all digits for the database name as you can with tables and columns (create table "1" ("2" text);) but you may run into places where you have to quote the name. For instance, in psql you might need to switch databases with:

\c "123456"

instead of

\c 123456

Alternately, you could prepend 1+ alpha characters to the customer numbers to create names like c123456 or cust123456 which don't need to be quote-enclosed. Personally, I try to avoid reserved words and anything else that requires special handling.

Cheers,
Steve

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend