-d option in pg_dump

Hi -

In previous versions of postgres (8.1, 8.0), we had problems loading some data from dumps that were used the copy command rather than the insert command. If I remember correctly, these problems were caused by weird characters in some of the data values. As a result, we tend to use the -d option with pg_dump. At this point our databases are taking too long to reload using inserts. I did some testing and haven't run into the problems with the copy commands but don't want to find out that I was wrong when I'm trying to restore from a failure.

Were there changes made some time before 8.2.4 that made loading pg_dump with copy as safe as with insert commands? Have other people had problems restoring databases from pg_dump without the -d option?

Mija

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster