Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error

Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK wrote:
We're managing a database on version 8.2.3 (running Lyris ListManager email software). I ran a 'vacuum analyze full verbose' (we haven't been able to get autovacuum to work properly on Lyris installs so we need to run a full vacuum every week or so, and we'd been doing some work on this machine so it needed it). It ran happily for quite a while - about 2 thirds of the way through the database - but then ended with the lines

What is it about autovacuum that isn't working for you?

Hi Matthew. I have to admit that I haven't tested full yet, but here's the scenario: When Lyris sends a mailing there is an intense amount of database activity - particularly on two tables. When I had auto vacuum set up, the database just wasn't responding fast enough, so the mailing speed dropped as Lyris dynamically adjusted based on the speed of db response. I guess what I need to do is tweak the intervals and the sleep time so that vacuum backs off when the database is really busy - do you have any thoughts on what settings I should try in order to acheive that?
Thanks so much
Kieran