Re: autovacuum question

Laszlo Nagy wrote:
> Jim Nasby írta:
> >Autovacuum doesn't launch a separate daemon; you'll only see an
> >autovac process when an autovac is actually working.
> Where should I see it? The output of "ps ax | grep auto" is empty. Does
> it mean that auto vacuum is not running? How can I check if there is a
> problem?

Do "show autovacuum", and it will tell you if autovac is running.

> >Also, 8.1 has code to prevent wraparound, so that's not it (see
> >backend/access/transam/varsup.c)
> Oh, then do you have any idea what caused this? E.g. a postgres client
> seeing an older version of the data? "Older" means that the postgres
> client was started today and it saw the data from 2 days ago, then
> suddenly it started to see the fresh data.

Maybe because they issued "commit" in the session where they had an idle
open transaction?

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"La libertad es como el dinero; el que no la sabe emplear la pierde" (Alvarez)