Re: Strange UTF8 issue with pg_dump/pg_restore

On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Benjamin Krajmalnik wrote:
I have a database whose records are inserted via ODBC.
I turned on logging, and the client is explicitly setting the client encoding to UTF.

Rows are inserted into the tables. When I do a pg_dump, I do not get any errors. When I try tor restore, I am getting an error regarding an invalid UTF-8 character sequence. Of course, this renders compressed backups useless, since I have no way of manually fixing the file. The process of fixing the file is, of course, painful.

Is this a known issue? I am running PG 8.1.4. The problem happened on PG Windows. Tomorrow I will try to see if the problem exists in the FreeBSD compile. If I get it to reproduce, I will be able to send some data dumps, but will need to know who to send it to.

Are the dumps from an older version? There's a known issue that older versions weren't doing proper checking, in which case you can have invalid UTF8 characters. The fix is to run the dump through iconv.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx