Re: database locale and system locale

peter_e@xxxxxxx wrote:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
I've been reading tons of stuff on locale and postgresql. I am still
not in the clear about some details, though: how do system locale and
database locale work together (or not)?

The system locale is more or less ignored. What matters are the locales set in the database.
Great!
If I am running a database cluster with --encoding= UTF8, are there
any troubles to be expected if the system locale remains "C" or
somehting like "de_AT.iso885915@euro"?

Your sort order will approach randomness.
(...)

Wait .. not that great! The system locale is more or less ignored, but my sort order will approach randomness? Can you or anyone shed some more light on this? I am even more confused than I was before ..

Regards
Erwin Brandstetter