Re: autovacuum daemon question...

Unless I misunderstand, if stats_reset_on_server_start=off, these (currently nonexistent autovacuum) stats would only be relevant for autovacuum's VACUUM activity and not it's ANALYZE activity. In which case, it seems ideal to keep autovacuum VACUUM stats regardless of the GUC setting, while autovacuum ANALYZE stats should follow it. But if the ideal is impractical, making both ANALYZE and VACUUM stats follow the GUC would still be real nice.

I'm confused... the GUC var stats_reset_on_server_start dictates if the stats system dumps its data on DB restart. If we added a new table to the stats system kept track of autovacuum activity, then that data would also be dumped on restart if stats_reset_on_server_start=true.

Yep. I was thinking of a way to muck up the stats system by keeping autovacuum's VACUUM activity irregardless of stats_reset_on_server_start. Because autovacuum's VACUUM activity data would be relevant across restarts, even if stats_reset_on_server_start=true. But I see now that my idea is ugly and just confuses things. I agree that having it work the way you suggest is preferable.

- Jeff

--

Jeff Bohmer
VisionLink, Inc.