Re: character problem

Hannes Dorbath's cat, on 10/10/2005 12.08, walking on the keyboard wrote:
OK, so you are not using Unicode. I don't know much about the SQL_ASCII charset, but I expect it to slightly differ from LATIN1. Type

SET client_encoding = LATIN1;

in psql, then SELECT some data containing the chars you have problems with and see if it is fixed. If not, INSERT a new row with such chars from psql, SELECT that row again and if the chars look right now, your other rows are stored invalid in the datebase and you need to convert them somehow.

The old rows are still displayed in a bad format, the newly inserted one is instead shown rightly. Also data in pg_dump present wrong strings, thus any suggestion about how to reconvert already inserted data? Moreover, the set client_encoding change is permanent or do I have to configure it in the postgresql.conf file?

Thanks,
Luca

--
Luca Ferrari