Re: character problem

On 10.10.2005 11:56, Luca Ferrari wrote:
gestione_personale=# \l
             List of databases
        Name        |   Owner   | Encoding
--------------------+-----------+-----------
 gestione_database  | dbmanager | SQL_ASCII
 gestione_personale | wwwrun    | SQL_ASCII
 template0          | dbmanager | SQL_ASCII
 template1          | dbmanager | SQL_ASCII
(4 rows)

gestione_personale=# show client_encoding;
 client_encoding
 SQL_ASCII
(1 row)

OK, so you are not using Unicode. I don't know much about the SQL_ASCII charset, but I expect it to slightly differ from LATIN1. Type

SET client_encoding = LATIN1;

in psql, then SELECT some data containing the chars you have problems with and see if it is fixed. If not, INSERT a new row with such chars from psql, SELECT that row again and if the chars look right now, your other rows are stored invalid in the datebase and you need to convert them somehow.

--
Regards,
Hannes Dorbath