Re: Disabling WAL for bulk data loads

Tom Lane wrote:
William Yu <wyu@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

If you have enough memory, you can always make a ramdisk to store the WAL temporarily while you bulk load data. I also temporarily alter the config to set checkpoint_segments = 1 to use as few pg_xlog files as possible.

Really?  That seems pretty counterproductive to me.  I've never seen
a case where reducing checkpoint_segments increased performance.
Checkpoints are expensive, and usually you want 'em far apart.

Just poor grammar on my part. I meant decreasing checkpoint_segments when using a ramdisk for WAL in order to keep Postgres from croaking on lack of disk space for pg_xlog.

      match