Re: Disabling WAL for bulk data loads

Kevin Keith wrote:
I am coming from an Oracle background - which in the case of bulk data loads there were several options I had where I could disable writing to the redo log to speed up the bulk data load (i.e. direct load, set the user session in no archive logging, set the affected tables to have no logging).

If you have enough memory, you can always make a ramdisk to store the WAL temporarily while you bulk load data. I also temporarily alter the config to set checkpoint_segments = 1 to use as few pg_xlog files as possible.

      match