Re: Perfbook : Thanks!

Hello Paul,

On Tue, 2023-01-31 at 13:45 -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 06:09:50PM -0300, Leonardo Brás wrote:
> > Hello Paul,
> >
> > I am a newbie Kernel Developer, and I was already a fan of your work on memory-
> > barriers.txt.
> >
> > A couple weeks ago a friend of mine recommended reading perfbook, and sent me an
> > older version (2011.01.02a). After reading a few pages I went on and found that
> > the book had newer releases and is often updated and maintained with git, which
> > got me really impressed.
> >
> > (I had a lot of work gone to waste on other books I found errors on, and
> > perfbook's git workflow just make a lot of sense to me)
> >
> > Since it's a topic I am really interested in, and I noticed the book has updates
> > from a couple days ago, I decided to install texinfo packages and compile a new
> > version for me to start reading.
> >
> > I then noticed it would be nice to keep reading the latest version whenever an
> > update came by, so I created a gitlab-ci to re-generate the book after a new
> > commit / push: https://gitlab.com/linux-kernel/perfbook
> >
> > Is that ok if I keep this gitlab repository re-generating the book?
> >
> > Is a gitlab-ci of any use for you?
> > If so, I can send it as a patch (a single .gitlab-ci.yaml file), and refine it
> > according to your needs.
> >
> > Thanks for keeping the book updated!
>
> Hello, Leonardo, and glad you like the book!
>
> On the automated CI, I cant't think of a problems with it.  In fact, in
> my experience, automated testing is usually a good thing.  I am adding
> the perfbook email list in case others have advice or other guidance.
>
> Just out of curiosty, are you thinking of automating tests of the
> sample code as well as of the LaTeX builds?

For now it only automates the LaTeX build of perfbook.pdf, perfbook-1c.pdf and
perfbook-eb.pdf, but there should be no problem automating tests too. (I mean,
once I understand how to run tests.)

> 							Thanx, Paul

Thank you!
Leo

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]