Re: Perfbook : Thanks!

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 06:09:50PM -0300, Leonardo Brás wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> I am a newbie Kernel Developer, and I was already a fan of your work on memory-
> barriers.txt.
>
> A couple weeks ago a friend of mine recommended reading perfbook, and sent me an
> older version (2011.01.02a). After reading a few pages I went on and found that
> the book had newer releases and is often updated and maintained with git, which
> got me really impressed.
>
> (I had a lot of work gone to waste on other books I found errors on, and
> perfbook's git workflow just make a lot of sense to me)
>
> Since it's a topic I am really interested in, and I noticed the book has updates
> from a couple days ago, I decided to install texinfo packages and compile a new
> version for me to start reading.
>
> I then noticed it would be nice to keep reading the latest version whenever an
> update came by, so I created a gitlab-ci to re-generate the book after a new
> commit / push: https://gitlab.com/linux-kernel/perfbook
>
> Is that ok if I keep this gitlab repository re-generating the book?
>
> Is a gitlab-ci of any use for you?
> If so, I can send it as a patch (a single .gitlab-ci.yaml file), and refine it
> according to your needs.
>
> Thanks for keeping the book updated!

Hello, Leonardo, and glad you like the book!

On the automated CI, I cant't think of a problems with it.  In fact, in
my experience, automated testing is usually a good thing.  I am adding
the perfbook email list in case others have advice or other guidance.

Just out of curiosty, are you thinking of automating tests of the
sample code as well as of the LaTeX builds?

							Thanx, Paul

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]