My learning experience of how irq_disable affects Linux IPI

Hi Paul,

During the study of RCU, I encountered confusion about how X86's
irq_disable affects Linux IPI delivery.  So I spent a week trying to
find out the fundamental mechanism by debugging the qemu virtual
machine. I think my experience may help others, and I guess the
perfbook mailing list is the best place to share my experience. Please
correct me if it is improper.

I learn how Linux IPI is blocked by irq_disable by means of debug qemu
virtual machine:
Fig 1 (https://ibb.co/Ypv3hNm)  CPU 1 sending IPI;

Fig 2 (https://ibb.co/162sVyV)  CPU 0 receive the interrupt;

Fig 3- Fig4 (https://ibb.co/bzFkckM, https://ibb.co/TmC3rn4) but CPU 0
has irq disabled, so the IPI will not be served at that moment;

Fig 5 (https://ibb.co/k8BpBMq)  CPU 0 enable irq;

Fig 6 (https://ibb.co/zNBrMJk) now IPI got served

Thanks for your continuous encouragement ;-)

Thanks
Zhouyi

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]