Re: [RFC NOT PULL] Experiment to add background to question part of QQZ

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 07:35:47AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> [...]
> >> ("Add experimental target 'noqq' (sans inline QuickQuizzes)"),
> >> some of the essential quick quizzes are missing as you see in the
> >> beginning of the Counting chapter.
> >> So "noqq" at the moment is just a PoC which shows that inline
> >> question can be actually removed.
> >> If we add some way to annotate essential quick quizzes and to keep
> >> them in "noqq" build, then this target might become easier to follow.
> >> I can keep noqq build in my tree to further this direction.
> >
> > Another approach is to drop any sign of the quick quizzes from the text.
> >
> > Alternatively, gather them all up at the end of the chapter.  This
> > last could be done by adding a \QuickQuizChapterEnd or some such
> > at the end of each \QuickQuizChapter.
> >
> > But I agree that having some way to mark a few of them as important
> > is a good thing.  In the latter case, the quick quiz could appear
> > both in the text and at the end of the chapter.
> >
> >> The change of \QuickQuiz{} macro will frequently conflict with updates/
> >> additions of quick quizzes. So it would be convenient for me if
> >> you can cherry pick commit 32e96b6c281a ("treewide: Renew format of
> >> Quick Quiz macro") now. This one should not have any effect in
> >> the build results.
> >
> > Done!
> >
> >> Of course, any feedback from select perfbook contributors on "msnt"
> >> and "1csf" is more than welcome.
> >> If you could publish the experimental branch in your tree and invite
> >> prospective readers for their thoughts, I'd highly appreciate them.
> >
> > Branch qqz.2020.03.14a now has these experimental targets.  I will
> > check with a few people, and I can also send a separate email to
> > perfbook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  I would guess that not many will have
> > read this far.  ;-)
> >
> > Something like this?
> >
> > 	Subject: Experimental quick-quiz format at branch qqz.2020.03.14a
> >
> > 	Hello!
> >
> > 	Akira has created a couple of new perfbook build targets
> > 	that use fancier formatting for quick quizzes.  You can
> > 	build with this fanciness by checking out branch qqz.2020.03.14a
> > 	of the perfbook git archive [1], and then typing:
> >
> > 		make msnt  # Double-column format
> > 		make 1csf  # Single-column format
> >
> > 	If you get a chance to do this and look it over, please let
> > 	Akira and I know what you think.  Any reason not to make this
> > 	format be the default for releases and editions?  (The reason
> > 	not to it the default for normal "make" builds is that the
> > 	price of the fanciness is a slower build time.)
> >
> > 	Thoughts?
> >
> > 							Thanx, Paul
> >
> > 	[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulmck/perfbook.git
> >
> > Either way, again thank you for putting this together!
>
> Looking at the branch again, I see some of the commits are unrelated to
> the format of QQZs.
>
> I'll respin the branch and send you those changes as patches to be
> applied to master.  Then I'll prepare another experimental branch

Sounds good!  As with last time, I will pull it but not merge it into
the master branch, at least not yet.

							Thanx, Paul

>         Thanks, Akira
>

> > 							Thanx, Paul

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]