Re: [RFC NOT PULL] Experiment to add background to question part of QQZ

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 01:33:36PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 20:26:41 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 09:40:37AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> I have been experimenting to make question part of QQZ stand out.
> >> At the moment, official targets are not affected by the change.
> >> You can see the new look by building targets "msnt" and "1csf".
> >>
> >> Another added target "noqq" is an experiment to remove inline questions.
> >> Anchors to the QQAs in Appendix E are presented at the right side of
> >> the column.
> >>
> >> To make noqq to work, I need to change the \QuickQuiz{} macro format
> >> so that the question part is enclosed in "{ ... }".
> >>
> >> Please give them a try and share your thoughts.
> >
> > Interesting, thank you for looking into this and putting it together!
> >
> > The msnt version looks rather nice, actually.  The 1scf in addition
> > might be quite a bit nicer for small-format devices, given the plain font.
> >
> > The noqq version was generally OK, but there are some places with
> > multiple consecutive quick quizzes that look a bit strange, for example,
> > the first column of the Counting chapter.  But people who don't like
> > being distracted by quick quizzes might like it.  ;-)
> >
> > What are your thoughts on how to proceed with this?  Were you thinking
> > in terms of running it by a few people to get more feedback?  Or did
> > you have something else in mind?
>
> There are a couple of possible approaches.
> One downside of enabling "bgqqz" by default is the increase in build
> time.  One pdflatex run will take around 50% longer than current
> master.  I guess you prefer faster build while preparing new contents.

I do, though in this case I was multitasking so wasn't paying attention
to the build time.

> It would be possible to enable it for the official targets only
> when building on a release tag.

That makes a lot of sense!  Especially now that I have the
utilities/torelease.sh so that I wouldn't have to remember to use the
target for releases.  ;-)

> As for "noqq", as mentioned in the change log of commit f6852d1ab109
> ("Add experimental target 'noqq' (sans inline QuickQuizzes)"),
> some of the essential quick quizzes are missing as you see in the
> beginning of the Counting chapter.
> So "noqq" at the moment is just a PoC which shows that inline
> question can be actually removed.
> If we add some way to annotate essential quick quizzes and to keep
> them in "noqq" build, then this target might become easier to follow.
> I can keep noqq build in my tree to further this direction.

Another approach is to drop any sign of the quick quizzes from the text.

Alternatively, gather them all up at the end of the chapter.  This
last could be done by adding a \QuickQuizChapterEnd or some such
at the end of each \QuickQuizChapter.

But I agree that having some way to mark a few of them as important
is a good thing.  In the latter case, the quick quiz could appear
both in the text and at the end of the chapter.

> The change of \QuickQuiz{} macro will frequently conflict with updates/
> additions of quick quizzes. So it would be convenient for me if
> you can cherry pick commit 32e96b6c281a ("treewide: Renew format of
> Quick Quiz macro") now. This one should not have any effect in
> the build results.

Done!

> Of course, any feedback from select perfbook contributors on "msnt"
> and "1csf" is more than welcome.
> If you could publish the experimental branch in your tree and invite
> prospective readers for their thoughts, I'd highly appreciate them.

Branch qqz.2020.03.14a now has these experimental targets.  I will
check with a few people, and I can also send a separate email to
perfbook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  I would guess that not many will have
read this far.  ;-)

Something like this?

	Subject: Experimental quick-quiz format at branch qqz.2020.03.14a

	Hello!

	Akira has created a couple of new perfbook build targets
	that use fancier formatting for quick quizzes.  You can
	build with this fanciness by checking out branch qqz.2020.03.14a
	of the perfbook git archive [1], and then typing:

		make msnt  # Double-column format
		make 1csf  # Single-column format

	If you get a chance to do this and look it over, please let
	Akira and I know what you think.  Any reason not to make this
	format be the default for releases and editions?  (The reason
	not to it the default for normal "make" builds is that the
	price of the fanciness is a slower build time.)

	Thoughts?

							Thanx, Paul

	[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulmck/perfbook.git

Either way, again thank you for putting this together!

							Thanx, Paul

> [...]
> >>       intro: Use 'VerbatimU' env for command output
> >>       defer/seqlock: Move figure env next to 1st paragraph
> >>
> >>  Makefile                                  |   8 +-
> >>  SMPdesign/SMPdesign.tex                   |  42 ++--
> >>  SMPdesign/criteria.tex                    |   6 +-
> >>  SMPdesign/partexercises.tex               |  72 +++---
> >>  advsync/rcu.tex                           |  24 +-
> >>  advsync/rt.tex                            |  60 ++---
> >>  appendix/questions/after.tex              |  12 +-
> >>  appendix/questions/concurrentparallel.tex |  12 +-
> >>  appendix/questions/ordering.tex           |   6 +-
> >>  appendix/toyrcu/toyrcu.tex                | 162 ++++++-------
> >>  appendix/whymb/whymemorybarriers.tex      |  84 +++----
> >>  count/count.tex                           | 384 +++++++++++++++---------------
> >>  cpu/cpu.tex                               |   6 +-
> >>  cpu/hwfreelunch.tex                       |   6 +-
> >>  cpu/overheads.tex                         |  31 +--
> >>  cpu/overview.tex                          |  12 +-
> >>  cpu/swdesign.tex                          |  12 +-
> >>  datastruct/datastruct.tex                 |  84 +++----
> >>  debugging/debugging.tex                   | 152 ++++++------
> >>  defer/hazptr.tex                          |  42 ++--
> >>  defer/rcuapi.tex                          |  54 ++---
> >>  defer/rcuexercises.tex                    |  12 +-
> >>  defer/rcufundamental.tex                  |  36 +--
> >>  defer/rcuintro.tex                        |  42 ++--
> >>  defer/rcurelated.tex                      |   6 +-
> >>  defer/rcuusage.tex                        |  78 +++---
> >>  defer/refcnt.tex                          |  30 +--
> >>  defer/seqlock.tex                         |  62 ++---
> >>  defer/whichtochoose.tex                   |  18 +-
> >>  easy/easy.tex                             |  18 +-
> >>  formal/axiomatic.tex                      |  36 +--
> >>  formal/dyntickrcu.tex                     |  90 +++----
> >>  formal/formal.tex                         |  12 +-
> >>  formal/ppcmem.tex                         |  30 +--
> >>  formal/spinhint.tex                       |  48 ++--
> >>  future/formalregress.tex                  |  42 ++--
> >>  future/htm.tex                            |  54 ++---
> >>  future/tm.tex                             |   6 +-
> >>  howto/howto.tex                           |  30 ++-
> >>  intro/intro.tex                           |  94 ++++----
> >>  locking/locking-existence.tex             |  18 +-
> >>  locking/locking.tex                       | 156 ++++++------
> >>  memorder/memorder.tex                     | 246 +++++++++----------
> >>  owned/owned.tex                           |  42 ++--
> >>  perfbook.tex                              |   8 +
> >>  qqz.sty                                   |  53 ++++-
> >>  together/applyrcu.tex                     |  30 +--
> >>  together/hash.tex                         |   6 +-
> >>  together/refcnt.tex                       |  42 ++--
> >>  toolsoftrade/toolsoftrade.tex             | 210 ++++++++--------
> >>  utilities/extractqqz.sh                   |   8 +-
> >>  51 files changed, 1449 insertions(+), 1385 deletions(-)

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]