Cost of atomic operations on new hardware

Hello,

Section 3.1.3 contains the following statement:

"Fortunately, CPU designers have focused heavily on atomic operations,
so that as of early 2014 they have greatly reduced their overhead."

My experience with very recent hardware is that the *relative* cost of
atomic operations has actually increased significantly. It seems that
hardware designers, in their attempt to optimize performance for
certain workloads, have produced hardware in which the "anomalous"
conditions (atomic operations, cache misses, barriers, exceptions)
incur much higher penalties than in the past. I assume that this is
primarily the result of more intensive speculation and prediction.

--Elad

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]