Re: [Possible BUG] count_lim_atomic.c fails on POWER8

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 11:45:15PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2018/10/28 09:43:55 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >> Oh, my concern was macros I added in counttorture.h to support
> >> #ifndef KEEP_GCC_THREAD_LOCAL.
> >>
> >> But those macros are used solely in the header file, so the current
> >> definition might be good enough.
> >
> > These ones?
> >
> > #define _wait_all_threads() { \
> > 	while (READ_ONCE(finalthreadcount) < nthreadsexpected) \
> > 		poll(NULL, 0, 1);}
> > #define _count_unregister_thread(n) count_unregister_thread(n + 1)
> > #define final_wait_all_threads() { \
> > 	WRITE_ONCE(finalthreadcount, nthreadsexpected + 1); \
> > 	wait_all_threads();}
> >
> > The _count_unregister_thread() is fine.
>
> Well, don't we need to protect "n"?  That is,
>
> #define _count_unregister_thread(n) count_unregister_thread((n) + 1)

Indeed we do!  Color me blind, and good catch!!!

> > The _wait_all_threads() and final_wait_all_threads() are fine given their
> > current usage.  One not-yet-needed way to future-proof them would be as
> > follows:
> >
> > #define _wait_all_threads() \
> > do { \
> > 	while (READ_ONCE(finalthreadcount) < nthreadsexpected) \
> > 		poll(NULL, 0, 1); \
> > } while (0)
> > #define final_wait_all_threads() \
> > do { \
> > 	WRITE_ONCE(finalthreadcount, nthreadsexpected + 1); \
> > 	wait_all_threads(); \
> > } while (0)
> >
> > Your next question is "why does this matter", to which I would point you
> > here: https://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/DoWhile0
>
> This is exactly what I've wanted to know!
>
> >                                              Mostly because I never
> > can remember all of the failure cases that led to the Linux-kernel
> > coding-style rules.  ;-)
> >
> >> OTH, macros defined in api-gcc.h should be made as robust as possible.
> >> Hence your review of cmpxchg() is quite instructive to me.
> >
> > Glad it helped!

> >> These reasoning might not be obvious to those who are new to
> >> C preprocessor programming. Current style guide of kernel doesn't
> >> look good enough, partly because of its intended audiences.
> >
> > To be fair, it doesn't get updated as often as it should.

> >> I didn't notice this point.
> >
> > Neither did I earlier in this thread.  ;-)

> >> Behavior of overflow of signed integer is undefined in C standard, right?
> >
> > Exactly.  An alternative approach is to do as the Linux kernel does and
> > tell gcc to wrap signed integers on overflow, as the standard mandates
> > for unsigned integers.
>
> So, GCC provides such an option. Let's see...
>
> Ah, include/linux/overflow.h has a variety of helper macros.
> They are hard to grasp in a short while, though!

Maybe check_add_overflow()?

> >                         My preference would be to avoid signed overflow.

> >> Let me think this over.
> >>
> >> BTW, the purpose of using the name "_____old" and the like may not
> >> be obvious either.
> >> If we use "old" instead, naming collision can happen if "old" is given
> >> as an argument to this macro in its call sites. Am I guessing right?
> >
> > You got it exactly right!  The "old" in the argument is intended to
> > refer to something in an outer scope, but it would instead refer to
> > the macro's local variable.
>
> Which might not end up in compile error, and could be hard to track down.
> Whew!

It can be quite nasty!  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]