Re: [Possible BUG] count_lim_atomic.c fails on POWER8

On 2018/10/28 09:43:55 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 11:24:41PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:

>>> Let's see...
>>>
>>> #define cmpxchg(ptr, o, n) \
>>> ({ \
>>> 	typeof(*ptr) _____actual = (o); \
>>> 	\
>>> 	__atomic_compare_exchange_n(ptr, (void *)&_____actual, (n), 1, \
>>> 			__ATOMIC_SEQ_CST, __ATOMIC_SEQ_CST) ? (o) : (o)+1; \
>>> })
>>
>> Oh, my concern was macros I added in counttorture.h to support
>> #ifndef KEEP_GCC_THREAD_LOCAL.
>>
>> But those macros are used solely in the header file, so the current
>> definition might be good enough.
>
> These ones?
>
> #define _wait_all_threads() { \
> 	while (READ_ONCE(finalthreadcount) < nthreadsexpected) \
> 		poll(NULL, 0, 1);}
> #define _count_unregister_thread(n) count_unregister_thread(n + 1)
> #define final_wait_all_threads() { \
> 	WRITE_ONCE(finalthreadcount, nthreadsexpected + 1); \
> 	wait_all_threads();}
>
> The _count_unregister_thread() is fine.

Well, don't we need to protect "n"?  That is,

#define _count_unregister_thread(n) count_unregister_thread((n) + 1)

> The _wait_all_threads() and final_wait_all_threads() are fine given their
> current usage.  One not-yet-needed way to future-proof them would be as
> follows:
>
> #define _wait_all_threads() \
> do { \
> 	while (READ_ONCE(finalthreadcount) < nthreadsexpected) \
> 		poll(NULL, 0, 1); \
> } while (0)
> #define final_wait_all_threads() \
> do { \
> 	WRITE_ONCE(finalthreadcount, nthreadsexpected + 1); \
> 	wait_all_threads(); \
> } while (0)
>
> Your next question is "why does this matter", to which I would point you
> here: https://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/DoWhile0

This is exactly what I've wanted to know!

>                                              Mostly because I never
> can remember all of the failure cases that led to the Linux-kernel
> coding-style rules.  ;-)
>
>> OTH, macros defined in api-gcc.h should be made as robust as possible.
>> Hence your review of cmpxchg() is quite instructive to me.
>
> Glad it helped!
>
>>> We cannot do #1 because cmpxchg() is type-generic, and thus cannot be
>>> implemented as a C function.  (C++ could use templates, but we are not
>>> writing C++ here.)
>>>
>>> We cannot do #2 because cmpxchg() must return a value.
>>
>> These reasoning might not be obvious to those who are new to
>> C preprocessor programming. Current style guide of kernel doesn't
>> look good enough, partly because of its intended audiences.
>
> To be fair, it doesn't get updated as often as it should.
>
>>> Indentation is not perfect, but given the long names really cannot be
>>> improved all that much, if at all.
>>>
>>> However, we do have a problem, namely the multiple uses of "o", which
>>> would be very bad if "o" was an expression with side-effects.
>>
>> I didn't notice this point.
>
> Neither did I earlier in this thread.  ;-)
>
>>> How about the following?
>>>
>>> #define cmpxchg(ptr, o, n) \
>>> ({ \
>>> 	typeof(*ptr) _____old = (o); \
>>> 	typeof(*ptr) _____actual = _____old; \
>>> 	\
>>> 	__atomic_compare_exchange_n(ptr, (void *)&_____actual, (n), 1, \
>>> 			__ATOMIC_SEQ_CST, __ATOMIC_SEQ_CST)
>>> 			? _____old : _____old + 1; \
>>> })
>>>
>>> This still might have problems with signed integer overflow, but I am
>>> inclined to ignore that for the moment.
>>
>> Behavior of overflow of signed integer is undefined in C standard, right?
>
> Exactly.  An alternative approach is to do as the Linux kernel does and
> tell gcc to wrap signed integers on overflow, as the standard mandates
> for unsigned integers.

So, GCC provides such an option. Let's see...

Ah, include/linux/overflow.h has a variety of helper macros.
They are hard to grasp in a short while, though!

>                         My preference would be to avoid signed overflow.
>
>>>                                         Because paying attention to it
>>> results in something like this:
>>>
>>> #define cmpxchg(ptr, o, n) \
>>> ({ \
>>> 	typeof(*ptr) _____old = (o); \
>>> 	typeof(*ptr) _____actual = _____old; \
>>> 	\
>>> 	__atomic_compare_exchange_n(ptr, (void *)&_____actual, (n), 1, \
>>> 			__ATOMIC_SEQ_CST, __ATOMIC_SEQ_CST) \
>>> 			? _____old \
>>> 			: _____old > 0 ? _____old - 1; : _____old + 1; \
>>> })
>>>
>>> Thoughts?  Most especially, any better ideas?
>>
>> Let me think this over.
>>
>> BTW, the purpose of using the name "_____old" and the like may not
>> be obvious either.
>> If we use "old" instead, naming collision can happen if "old" is given
>> as an argument to this macro in its call sites. Am I guessing right?
>
> You got it exactly right!  The "old" in the argument is intended to
> refer to something in an outer scope, but it would instead refer to
> the macro's local variable.

Which might not end up in compile error, and could be hard to track down.
Whew!

        Thanks, Akira

> 							Thanx, Paul

[Index of Archives]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]