Re: synchronization between two process without lock

HI Yubin,

Please see below,

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Yubin Ruan <ablacktshirt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Indeed, that is possible.  The pthread_kill() system call if nothing
>> else.
>>
>>> pthread_mutexattr_setrobust(..) will help in this situation, although it is
>>> quite painful that nobody is maintaining the NPTL docs currently and you have
>>> to dive into the source code if you want to make sure the semantic is exactly
>>> what you want.
>>
>> True on all counts.  But what exactly are you trying to achieve?
>
> What I am going to achieve is to allow multiple producer to place some content
> in some slots of a queue. The risk is that some producers might be in the same
> slot, so that it require some locking to synchronize them. But if you use lock,

It seems what you are looking for is a lock-free queue implementation,
which, by placing difference write requests on different queue slots,
immunes to the risk you mentioned. There are plenty of them. One
example (From "Fast concurrent queues for x86 processors", 2013):

enqueue(x : Object) {
    while (true) {
        t := F&A(&tail, 1)
        if ( SWAP(&Q[t], x) =⊥ ) return OK
    } }
dequeue() {
    while (true) {
    h := F&A(&head, 1)
    x := SWAP(&Q[h], ?)
    if x !=⊥ return x
    if ( tail ≤ h+1) return EMPTY
} }

But as mentioned by Paul, "Doing "just a bit more" in this area
usually means incurring a huge amount more pain", the code snippet
above may suffer livelock problem. If you care about that, the authors
have addressed the problem and the code is free to download.

--Jason