Re: [GIT PULL v3] Another round of build script tweaks

On 2016/05/07 06:20:39 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 09:06:18AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>> Hi, Paul.

>>> Make the above changes, and I will commit it.  "git rebase -i" is
>>> of course your friend for this task.
>>>

>> It seems there were no advance in master since then, so rebase was
>> not necessary.
>
> The issue is not master moving.  If I do move it in the next little
> bit, it will be for changes under CodeSamples, which won't conflict
> with your changes anyway.  So for me it will be a simple merge, not
> a problem at all.
>
> I am instead asking you to rebase in order to put the changes I
> requested into a few of the earlier patches.  For example:
>
> 	git branch makefile-tweaks-v3
> 	git rebase -i origin/master origin/master makefile-tweaks-v3
>
> Creating the branch allows you to keep the history.  This is important,
> as it allows you to do this as a check after you are done:
>
> 	git diff makefile-tweaks-v2
>
> Any diffs should of course correspond to intentional changes.
>
> Alternatively, you can do the following:
>
> 	git checkout -b makefile-tweaks-v3 origin/master
>
> Then for each commit ID "X":
>
> 	git cherry-pick -n X
> 	# Do any needed editing
> 	git commit -a -s
>
> At the end, you can again use "git diff" to check your work.
>
> You don't have a huge number of commits, so either way will work well.
> If you had (say) 20 commits, "git rebase -i" would work much better.
>
>> Pull request follows. Note that this is relative to the last one.
>> Do you prefer a request relative to the current master?
>
> Please!  That allows you to create FAQ-BUILD.txt to start with and
> have your changes relative to that.

I see. Attached is the retry of the PULL request. I hope it is what you are
expecting. In the future, I'll do things this way. There are a lot of things
I need to learn regarding the workflow using git.

                                             Thanks, Akira
---
Changes from v2:
    changes from "Fix regression in Makefile" to "Makefile: Add comment on why
    'extraction' is an empty target".  In short,
        1) regression in v2 ("make distclean") is fixed
        2) questions on build issues in FAQ.txt are moved to a new file FAQ-BUILD.txt,
        3) use of empty targets "perfbook_aux", "perfbook-1c_aux" and
           "perfbook-hb_aux" are abandoned and actual "perfbook.aux", etc. are
           used instead,
        4) rule for qqz.tex is added and qqz.tex is removed from the repository,
        5) rule for (.dot -> pdf) is removed and rule of (.dot -> .eps) is used
           instead. store15tred.esp is added to the repository,
        6) rules related to perfbook_html is removed,

Changes from v1:
    Reorganized the entire series so that minor changes would come
    first.

---
The following changes since commit 3f8bb7d620edee44637be00ba738761a4fc0732e:

  .gitignore: Add planned empty targets (2016-05-03 17:49:50 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:

  https://github.com/akiyks/perfbook.git makefile-tweaks-v3

for you to fetch changes up to 22332091df93f7255a8b898272be903f365a7152:

  Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target (2016-05-07 23:36:48 +0900)

Akira Yokosawa (13):
      Add font installation check
      Add short name targets in Makefile
      sig-theft: Fix .dot source for dot - graphviz version 2.36.0
      Make default target of "make" overridable
      Makefile: Reorder rules
      Makefile: Use wildcards
      Further improvement of build scripts
      Fix regression in Makefile
      Place trouble-shooting questions to FAQ-BUILD.txt
      Further tweaks of Makefile
      rm qqz.tex and add store15tred.esp in repository
      Remove rules related to perfbook_html
      Makefile: Add comment on why 'extraction' is an empty target

 .gitignore              |   11 +-
 FAQ-BUILD.txt           |   80 +
 FAQ.txt                 |   68 +-
 Makefile                |  353 +--
 advsync/store15tred.eps |  653 ++++
 count/sig-theft.dot     |   17 +-
 count/sig-theft.eps     |  338 +--
 utilities/eps2pdf.sh    |   12 +
 utilities/runlatex.sh   |   13 +-
 create mode 100644 FAQ-BUILD.txt
 create mode 100644 advsync/store15tred.eps
 delete mode 100644 qqz.tex