Re: [GIT PULL FOR TEST v2] Another round of build script tweaks

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 08:47:13AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/05/05 06:21:53 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > So akiysw@xxxxxxxxx is wrong and akiyks@xxxxxxxxx is correct, right?
> > Looks like it from the email archives.
>
> Yes, that's right.
>
> > And in general, this looks to be good cleanup work.  I do have some
> > questions and comments below.
>
> OK.

> > Hmmm...  The numbering is a bit inconsistent.  And there are a lot of
> > build questions.  We should place the trouble-shooting questions (1-4)
> > to a FAQ-build.txt file.  Then have FAQ.txt file question #1's answer be
> > "See FAQ-build.txt".  And then renumber the remaining FAQ.txt questions.
> >
> > Would you be willing to do this?
>
> Will do.
>
> > Also, please delete "have ever" from "If you have ever built" in the
> > first line of the answer.
>
> Will do

> > For this one, the answer should also mention "make hb" for the
> > perfbook-hb.pdf that is useful for making hard-bound printouts.
>
> I see.

> > Looks good!

> > This one should mention "hb" as well.
>
> You mean in FAQ-BUILD.txt?

Yes, please.

> > Looks good!

> > Hmmm...  I didn't know that you could do this.  Something about having
> > started using "make" more than 30 years ago, I guess.
> >
> > For BIBSOURCES, please do "BIBSOURCES = bib/*.bib" on one line.  I do
> > not expect multiple bibliography directories.
>
> Will do.
>
> > The dot files should probably be processed in the same way -- I added
> > them at different times, and apparently didn't make the processing
> > consistent.  As long as you are fixing things, this would be good to
> > fix as well.
>
> So, the old one (dot -> eps) seems to be used because you want to convert
> the font to embeddable one. This is the way you want both .dot files
> (and other files to be added in the future) are handled?

I am not going to be that specific.  ;-)

You are right, the fonts must be embeddable because otherwise the various
Internet printing services cannot handle the resulting PDF.  Which might
well mean that the new one is broken -- I use the Internet printing
services only once every few years, so I would not have seen the bug.

> > I don't understand the point of interchanging the 1c and 2c rules.
>
> Ah, I put the one corresponding to the default target above.
> But there was no point doing that. Will fix.
>
> > I don't understand why perfbook.pdf no longer depends on extraction.
> > Ah, I see, the dependency is still there, but via perfbook.bbl and
> > perfbook_aux.
> >
> > Rather than create "perfbook_aux" and "extraction" files, wouldn't it be
> > more natural for perfbook.aux to depend on contrib.tex and origpub.tex,
> > and then have separate rules to generate each of these files?  Ditto
> > or perfbook-bh_aux, and perfbook-1c_aux.
>
> Well, perfbook_aux seems unnecessary if perfbook.bbl is touched just
> before perfbook.pdf in runlatex.sh.
>
> contrib.tex and origpub.tex are tricky here. I'll try to explain.
>
> There are loops in dependency around perfbook_flat.tex
>
> perfbook_flat.tex requires an empty qqz.tex and up-to-date
> contrib.tex and origpub.tex for texexpand to work properly.
>
> Both contrib.tex and origpub.tex requires perfbook_flat.tex.
> contrib.tex also requires up-to-date qqz.tex.
>
> So at first glance, rules for contrib.tex and origpub.tex
> can be added, but that requires extraction to be a phony
> target.
>
> extraction is prerequisite for perfbook.aux.
> If you make it a phony target, the rule for perfbook.aux is
> always executed. That means runfirstlatex.run will run even
> if no source file is updated.
>
> Does the above explanation answer your question?

I had forgotten about that complication, thank you for the explanation.

> I may have missed something here. My original intention was
> to remove qqz.tex, contrib.tex and origpub.tex from the
> repository. I'd be happy if that can be done without any
> regression.

I would be fine with them being removed.

> > I do see the point of the "embedfonts" file -- nothing really to depend
> > on otherwise, since the files are fixed up in place.  So I am OK with
> > that one.
> >
> > 							Thanx, Paul
>
> Is it OK to commit the fixes on the makefile-tweaks-v2 branch?

Make the above changes, and I will commit it.  "git rebase -i" is
of course your friend for this task.

> And there is a related question I'd like to ask.
>
> Is the target perfbook_html actively maintained?
> When I tried this, I got a plenty of warning messages and the
> html files generated under perfbook_html seemed incomplete.
> Is there any prerequisite package for this to work?

The perfbook_html never did work very well.  The people asking for it
eventually decided that perfbook-1c.pdf worked well enough for them.
I would be fine with perfbook_html being removed.  Or fixed, just in
case someone has created a good latex-to-html conversion tool since
I last looked.  When I last looked, the coversion looked great unless
you looked closely.  It tended to corrupt some figures.

							Thanx, Paul