Re: PAM not resolving pam_sm_setcred

If PAM has already begun a function call to the kernel, it would not allow the system() function to run until the kernel call that is executing is done, and should return an error if a kernel call is in progress in the code you are working in. I think the fork() and exec() functions should still be available to you.

Inger, Slav (S.B.) wrote:

The OS is SuSE Linux 8.2. The system(3) manpage claims that system() will spawn off the shell and then wait for it to return. I've used system() with RedHat and SuSE Linux before, and it worked as advertised. I wonder if there's something special about it getting called from PAM...

-----Original Message----- From: Joe Lewis [mailto:joe@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 3:52 PM To: pam-list@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: PAM not resolving pam_sm_setcred

I believe that effect depends on the specifc implementation and operating system combination. If I were you, I would rather fork(), and have the child exec() the program, calling the specifc script interpreter (such as "perl","/path/to/program","arg1","etc"), and then a waitpid(). Those functions should be available, but then again, I'm not sure, because it really does depend the most on the operating system.