Re: Passing information to application

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Florian Verdet wrote:

> I'm extending the pam_mysql module and want to fetch HOME and SHELL from a
> MySQL db and pass them to the PAM application (login, ssh,...) to use them
> accordingly.

Why do it from PAM? It's not the right place. You want a plug in to the
NSS system calls (particularly for those to passwd, shadow and group)that
will allow you to use a mysql database instead of flat files for them.

There already is one available and it is VERY good. It's called nss_mysql
and you can find all the details here -
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/nss-mysql

You can still use PAM for authentication with it however all getpw* and
getgr* calls will be served according you the settings in your
/etc/nsswitch.conf file (where you configure the system to use mysql for
those lookups).

> What I found was, that they fetch the info, which SHELL to execute and
> which HOME directory to use, directly by means of the functions you,
> Jason, named (getpw*) and therefor (often) directly from /etc/passwd !
>
> Is there really no way to do it from a PAM module ???

It's just not the right place to do it.

> I think it would be possible to do something like this by writing a new
> (or using an existant) nss library...

Bingo. See above.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now