mod_auth_pam on Solaris 8 with nis

Hi,

I have set up an Apache 1.3.26 with mod_auth_pam and edited /etc/pam.conf :

#
# Apache httpd
#
httpd auth required /usr/lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
httpd account required /usr/lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

When I try to access a proteced page I get a password dialog box allright, but I
can't get authenticated. After runnning some investigations (snoop and truss) I
found that pam_unix.so is called which subsequentially results in some NIS-traffic:

1 0.00000 www -> nisslave NIS C MATCH myuser in passwd.byname
2 0.00111 nisslave -> www NIS R MATCH OK
3 0.00229 www -> nisslave NIS C MATCH myuser in passwd.adjunct.byname
4 0.01974 nisslave -> www NIS R MATCH No such map

In the truss output I can find that probably the user running the webserver is
the effective user (found the user id in the output) when issueing the
passwd.adjunct.byname request, which probably is denied. I can also mention that
a local user is authenticated when chmoding the shadow file to be readable for
the webservers group (but I am not really interested in that ) .

nssswitch.conf contains "nis files" at the moment .

Could anybody please explain to me if it is possible to get this setup working
and how ? As far as I can see it should be, if it is not the case that
pam_unix.so is called by the user running the web server when asking for
password info.

Thanks for any reply...

/Anders