Re: Best pam_radius module

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Mark van Kerkwyk wrote:

> By *best* I meant a module with as few bugs as possible and one which has
> implemented all core functions, freeradius looks ok for auth as it supports
> both auth and chauthtok, but it has no support for acct_mgmt which is
> pretty fundamental. It could be a good compromise though if nothing better
> was available.

Yes acct_mgmt is not supported. I'm not sure it's relevant though as
typically RADIUS auth'd accounts are "virtual" ones in that they don't
otherwise exist on the system - hence the need to use RADIUS.

I'm currently using the FreeRadius pam_radius module to backend Apache
authentication (mod_auth_pam) in conjuction with pam_listfile reading a
list of IPs reflecting dialled in connections. This provides
authentication to the account management web interfaces for my ISPs
without requiring any user accounts on the appropriate web servers.

It works very well and those this requirement pam_permit does for the
account management function very nicely ;)

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now