Re: RADIUS-only login using PAM/Linux seems to require entry in/etc/passwd

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, JC Ferguson wrote:

> I have a linux box that I want to use RADIUS as the ONLY authentication
> method.  I.e., I do not want to allow std unix login.  I am using a
> pam-enabled telnetd started from inetd on debian linux with the
> pam_radius module.
>
> The pam radius module gets called, i pass it the credentials, and it
> authenticates me.  however, I never get a shell, rather, the connection
> is closed by telnetd.
>
> I have traced this to where the login program starts the shell (not
> using gdb, mind you, some of this is speculation):
>
>    shell (pwent.pw_shell, (char *) 0); /* exec the shell finally. */

If you want a shell you need a valid uid. Without such you have no system
privileges at all.

Do you really need *every* user to have shell access?

What is your aversion to have an entry in a valid getpw data source?

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now