RADIUS-only login using PAM/Linux seems to require entry in /etc/passwd

I have a linux box that I want to use RADIUS as the ONLY authentication
method.  I.e., I do not want to allow std unix login.  I am using a
pam-enabled telnetd started from inetd on debian linux with the
pam_radius module.

The pam radius module gets called, i pass it the credentials, and it
authenticates me.  however, I never get a shell, rather, the connection
is closed by telnetd.

I have traced this to where the login program starts the shell (not
using gdb, mind you, some of this is speculation):

   shell (pwent.pw_shell, (char *) 0); /* exec the shell finally. */

problem is, i DO NOT have a /etc/passwd entry for my RADIUS user.  that
is, I login as "foo"--RADIUS has an entry for "foo", but /etc/passwd
does not.

As soon as I add an entry in /etc/passwd for "foo" with whatever
password I want, it all works fine.

Is it a requirement to have all your RADIUS userid's in /etc/passwd or
is there a slick way to avoid this?  Is there a way to specify a default
shell if one is not found?

thanks/jc

  _____

DISCLAIMER:   The information contained in this e-mail is confidential
and is intended solely for the review of the named addressee, and in
conjunction with specific Acopia Networks business.  Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action
intended recipient is prohibited. If you are unable to treat this
information accordingly, or are not the intended recipient, please
notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.