Configuring PAM & Winbind

Hello,

I have configured SAMBA & Winbind in RH 8.0. Winbind is running fine (e.g.
wbinfo -u & getent passwd return the correct results from the NT PDC).

I am trying to configure PAM to correctly authenticate the NT users locally
on the Linux machine. I am almost there as the System Log tells me that the
NT User has been granted access but then reports on the next line that:
"login (pam_unix) [XXXX]: Could not identify user (from getpwnam
(abc+linux))" followed by "User not known to the underlying authentication
module".

When I type in the wrong NT password, authentication fails and the console
says so and system logs reports it correctly. When I type in the correct
password, the system log reports the above and the console simply redisplays
the login screen with no error message, though a message is flashed up on
the screen faster than you can read it as part of this re-display process.

My etc/pam.d/login file looks like this at moment:

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so use_first_pass
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
#auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass shadow
nullok

account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

#password   required    /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

#session    required    /lib/security/pam_winbind.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

How does system-auth fit into all this? It looks like this:

auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so use_first_pass
nolocal
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     sufficient      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

I am tantalizingly close and this is driving me nuts!!! I need this to work
before I introduce Linux into my IT Department and this is something I
really want to do..................

Please help.

Andrew Butler.

P.S. Anyone ever install RH 6.2 with a RAID controller? Can't get the
installation program to see the drives. Server is DELL Poweredge 2550?

not necessarily those of Connaught Electronics Ltd. Information in this