pam module fails to load for httpd

I now have mod_auth_pam working.  I am unable, however, to get a pam module
that I wrote to work with httpd.  It works perfectly with sshd.  When run
under httpd, it fails and the following appears in pamlog:

Nov 26 00:28:39  PAM: [ID 487707 auth.error] load_modules: can not open
module /usr/lib/security/pam-afs-symlink.so
Nov 26 00:28:44  last message repeated 1 time

I did a system call trace, and the library is opened but then closed almost
immediately.

So why would it fail when called from apache but work fine when it is called
from sshd?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A big thank you to those who answered my question yesterday.

Thanks,

Chris