re: account - is there something else?

I've been reading though the samba docs and it looks like it will do it.  It
just seems more painful that it should be.  It would be tons easier to do
this in PAM.  Rather than setup all these extra services if I could just have
some sort of config option where I could list out default passwd options it
would sure make thing easier.  For example the only thing I need this to do
use to authenticate via samba then point the users that don't already have a
$home directory to /home/somedir and give them a shell.  That's about it.

Is a module option like this possible in PAM?  IF it is, it's probally worth
the time to write it for us.  If not I guess we'll have to go the other
route.

Thanks for the help!

Keith

I don't think this is an PAM issue. Try winbindd coming with samba, it
provides an NSS module with the ability to map domain users to local
users without entries in /etc/passwd.

- Joerg