mod_auth_pam problems

Title: Message
I've just built up a server, and added in mod_auth_pam to allow my system users to log in to other things via the web.

Heres what i did after the install

added a user 'test'

created a folder in /var/www/html called test

created a file called .htaccess which contained

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Testing mod_auth_pam"
require group test
require user test

Then i added the line
AllowOverride AuthConfig

to /etc/httpd/conf/access.conf

and restarted apache

Upon restart i get the error

Syntax error on line 9 of /etc/httpd/conf/access.conf: AllowOverride not allowed here

I followed what little documentation i could find about mod_auth_pam to the letter, referring to the faq included in the distribution to add the line into the access.conf.

First i'd like to know how i can tell whether mod_auth_pam is being loaded by apache?

Then i'd like to know how to get rid of this error message and how i can get the darned thing working!!!

I'm in distress here could a fellow hacker help PLEASE!!!!