pam_wheel: su to non-root vs. su to root

The security policy enforced by pam_wheel.so module is to grant
privilege of su'ing to `both root and non-root' only to people
in a privileged group(default wheel group, if not found, group with
gid=0). I think it's overkilling. The reasoning is as follows:

1. It should do just what it claims to do: "only permit root
    authentication to members of wheel group", but no more. That is,
    leave non-root authentication alone.

2. Even if it's desirable to restrict su'ing to non-root, and to
    incorporate this function into pam_wheel, it should be implemented
    in a different level, perhaps by designing different arguments for
    pam_wheel. Su'ing to root has much more security concern than su'ing
    to general users. And the latter would be very convenient for two
    users who trust each other and share each other's passwords. The
    admin should not deprive their humble wishes of doing that. It's not
    related to the wheel group membership. The policy is UNFAIR that they
    are not allowed to su to each other just because they are not members
    of the wheel group, which has only to do with system maintenance they
    would never be interested in.

Yet another concern comes to me: what about su'ing to wheel members by
non-wheel members. Should it be implemented in yet another different
pam_wheel argument. Maybe it's good, maybe it's overkilling on the other
end.

Should I file a `bug' report? Or do I over-sympathize with the dummy
users who are always messing things up. Any suggestion and correction
would be highly appreciated.

--KhoGuan Phuann