Persistent caching of user info from eg LDAP?

Hi,

There seems to have been discussions of similar/related topics earlier on
the list but no real solutions, unless of course I missed something :)
I'm wondering if something like this is possible with PAM currently:

User gets a new laptop which is preconfigured to authenticate from company
LDAP server holding all the necessary user info. The user logs into the
laptop once while connected to company network and this information is
then stored locally in /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, local home directory
created etc. This would then allow the user to log in with the same
account while not connected to network. Having the passwords synced one
way or the other would be nice too (something like "if ldap server
available sync the passwd from there, otherwise just use local passwd" or
so)

--
	- Panu -