pam_limits maxlogins count -Out by one

Hi,

I am new to this List, please forgive me if this subject has been
discussed more than once!!

Two q's from me:
 1)
pam_limits module appears to be out by one for certain authentication
methods -- In particular ssh -- Example, if I set maxlogins for a user
of 1, the user is allowed 2 logins, the third fails. If I set maxlogins
0, no logins allowed. I assume someone is aware of it??

2)
I have been playing with a pam_iptables module for PAM  see
http://www.itlab.musc.edu/~nathan/authentication_gateway/(Not part of
the main PAM tree).

In playing with this module it occured to me that what the pam_iptables
is much like is a generic "execute something when some pam
authentication takes place" type of module.  ie a pam_generic_execv that
reads a config file list of programs to execute when  a PAM
authentication takes place. Is there such a module already ? If not
would it be usefull, safe, or just superfluous?

Cheers,
Michael