Re: RADIUS HELPPPP

Also Sprach Adharsh Praveen R <adarsh@multitech.co.in> on Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:36:05PM PST

> hai ,
>
> I  Wonder if we can do this.
>
> I am using Redhat Linux 7.1. I want to authenticate users through
> RADIUS.
>
> Is there any way of using pam_radius_auth.so in such a way PAM looks
> only in RADIUS database & authenticate the user. The user name should
> not be present in
> Linux database.
>
> This works.
> If I have a user say user1 in Linux database (an account in /etc/passwd
> file) with some password and a same user , user1 in RADIUS database with
>
> different password.
>
> In some service if I use the line in some service
>
> auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_radius_auth.so
>
> It works fine.
>
> Now I want to authenticate a user who has entry only in RADIUS database
> & not in Linux database, using the same line.
>
> Is it a must that there should be an account for user in /etc/passwd
> file to get authenticated using RADIUS.

You're going to need the user in the /etc/passwd file even if
the password is '!', because the system needs to know what the
user's UID, GID, homedirectory, and shell are.  Well, UID & GID
are the only really necessary ones for non-shell authentication.
And even those aren't necessary if the service is a "black box"
service, like Cyrus IMAP.  Or maybe I'm not understanding you.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@nakedape.cc
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and wrong.
-- H. L. Mencken