KDE (kdm) pam configuration

I have a problem with kdm being slow to login (see bugzilla #60900).  If I
replace the pam_stack.so entries in /etc/pam.d/kde with the entries in
/etc/pam.d/system-auth, it works without any delay.

I wanted to rebuild kdebase with this fix in it, but I'm not sure if I will
break anything.  Some of our users user md5/shadow, and some of them use NIS
for authentication.  I added this line in /etc/pam.d/kde (from system-auth):

password  sufficient  /lib/security/pam_umix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow

I noticed that my NIS users have nis instead of md5/shadow (of course).  My
question is whether or not I can put something permanent on that line for
both.  E.g., can I add this line for all of them:

password  sufficient  /lib/security/pam_umix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow nis

Thanks,

Forrest