Re: pam-watch?

Luke Scharf wrote:

> I'm a system administrator attempting to install an application that
> relies on PAM (apache + mod_auth_pam).  Is there any way that I can get
> a log of what PAM is doing?  Ideally, I'd like to see what application
> is requesting authentication, whether the authentication succeeded or
> failed and why.  Is there a way to get such information?

Did you ever get an answer to this?  I've been working out of Mann and
Mitchell (_Linux_System_Security_) and on page 109 it says the logs go
to the syslog auth facility.  There are a lot of the modules that have a
"debug" option too:
pam_rhsots_auth,pam_lastlog,pam_wheel,pam_cracklib...
actually, on page 85 it says that most the modules have this as an
option.

There's a lot more to it, of course.  I'm not unconditionally enamoured
by the presentation in LSS, but it nevertheless is better than anything
I've got or have been presently able to find.

I'm still rather stuck on my *_dict.* problem, and I'm getting the
impression that this debian-users group is not very PAM savvy, as I've
gotten no feedback on the problem other than what I've elicited directly
from one friend.  If you know anyone else who is PAMMY in regards to
Debian, that is what I really really need.  For some reason I'm getting
the *_dict.* files on one machine, and not on the other.