Re: Pam+NIS+passwd

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 05:45:49PM +0100, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

Hello Thorsten, thanks for the quick reply,

> Why not use pam_pwcheck?

I don't know much of this module and same as with pam_pwdb I can't get
much information about it, while pam_cracklib is included with the pam
distribution.

> > -The debug option described in the documentation doesn't work and causes an
> >  error through syslog:
> >
> >  petrel PAM-unix2[2880]: password: Unknown option: debug
>
> Fixed on current SuSE Linux distributions.

That's good

> > -When a password is changed successfully there is no record through syslog.
>
> Why should there a syuslog entry on the client? It is much simpler to
> have this all on the server.

I personally like the entries that pam_unix leaves in syslog:

petrel PAM_unix[672]: NIS Password for tale was changed on albatros

And in the case of a local accounts there is no trace of a change at all,
but all in all this is not so important, there are many other more
serious things in the logs that I don't check anyway.

> > -The option use_authok described in the documentation and essential for
> >  this situation is not supported giving the following error through syslog:
> >
> >  petrel PAM-unix2[3501]: password: Unknown option: use_authok
>
> Typo of the README, the source and all other modules should show you that
> the correct argument is "use_authtok"

I changed and now it works.

> > -The module doesn't work at all when it is stacked with pam_cracklib, and
> >  again this is essential for the described situation.
>
> It should work, but I prefer pam_pwcheck instead of pam_cracklib.

Yes, you are right, the problem was a misconfigured cracklib.
After this new information and changes the sistem is working as spected,
I have to finish configuring everything and then should repost my mail.

Thanks again.